Are you wondering how to report on TikTok? It could be a video, a comment or a direct message. Well, I cover all that in this article.
TikTok has a system in place for users to report any content or account that they believe is violating the platform’s rules, or that they find offensive or inappropriate.
This way, TikTok enables its users to actively contribute to the nurturing of a safe and positive environment for everyone.
If you want to report for example a video you are viewing on TikTok, you can simply long-press on the video and then tap “Report” (⚐) from the menu that pops up, add your reason(s) for reporting and submit.
TikTok Comumunity Guidelines
When you visit the TikTok website, there’s a whole section dedicated to community guidelines. These are a set of regulations and standards put in place to guide TikTok users.
These guidelines are meant to ensure that users enjoy a safe, respectful and positive environment as they use the TikTok platform.
They are also subject to change based on emerging issues and situations.
When violated by an individual’s content or a particular account, TikTok takes the necessary steps to address the violation as we will see in detail in this article.
Why report on TikTok?
There are various reasons why your content or account may be reported, or why you may report someone on TikTok.
These are some of the common types of content violations that can get one reported:
- Sharing nudity or explicit content (pornography).
- Harassing or bullying someone based on gender, ethnicity, religion, etc.
- Sharing content that promotes illegal activity for example drug use, or fraudulent behavior.
- Having an account that impersonates someone else.
- Posting content that promotes violence or self-harm.
- Having a spam/fake account with misleading content.
- Violating copyright/intellectual property of other users.
- Sharing content that violates children’s rights and safety, or if an account is for a minor.
These are just a few of the many reasons why users may report on TikTok.
How to Report on TikTok
Here are the different options for ‘how to report someone on TikTok’:
1. How to Report a video on TikTok
To report a particular video on your TikTok:
Open up your TikTok app and go to that video, tap the Share button/icon(➦) and then tap Report (⚐)
In the next window, select a reason for your report from the provided list (or you can add any other if your reason isn’t included), then tap Submit.
Alternatively, you may just tap and hold on to the video and select Report from the menu that pops up.
Also read: What is a Good Like to View Ratio on TikTok?
2. How to Report TikTok account
If you want to report an account or the content on a particular account;
- Open your TikTok app and go to the profile of the person or account that you want to report.
- Click on the 3 dots (፧) at the top right corner of your screen.
- From the popup menu, tap on the “Report” option and you will be prompted to choose a reason for your report.
- Select the most appropriate reason from the list of options; TikTok may ask you for additional information or details related to the report.
Provide any relevant information if necessary.
- After providing all the required information, tap the Submit button to report the account.
Here is a summary of other TikTok reporting options:
Report a direct message on TikTok:
- Open your TikTok and go to that particular direct message in your inbox.
- Tap the 3-dot icon (⋯) in the top right.
- Select Report and follow the instructions to specify your reason for reporting.
Report a LIVE video on TikTok:
- On your TikTok app, go to the LIVE video you want to report, and tap Share.
- Select Report and then proceed to specify your reasons, and when you’re done, Submit.
Report a comment on TikTok:
- In the comments section of a TikTok video, long press on the comment that you want to report.
- Select Report, add the details or your reason for reporting then click the Submit button.
Tip: You can also report a hashtag, a sticker, a series, a sound/audio, etc.
What happens when you report on TikTok?
TikTok may take one of the following actions, depending on the seriousness of the reported violation and how frequently an account or specific content has been reported:
- If the reported content is found to be in violation of TikTok’s guidelines, it may be taken down or made inaccessible to other users.
- The reported account may receive a warning, temporary suspension or ban, or even permanent banning from the platform.
Note that TikTok also considers the user’s history and previous violations.
Repeat offenders may result in more severe consequences on their account.
Tip: If you think your account or content was reported unfairly or in error, TikTok offers an appeal process where you can petition and maybe their decision may be revoked.
Can a TikTok account be deleted if reported?
If you’re wondering how to report a TikTok account and get it deleted, it depends on how bad the reported violation is and previous offences by the same account or individual.
What happens if your account gets reported on TikTok?
Depending on the result of the review, anything from account suspension to content removal to permanent termination can happen to your account.
if you report someone on TikTok is it anonymous?
Yes, it is. One can not know who reported them on TikTok. This is because reporting is anonymous to avoid any sort of retaliation.
How long do TikTok reports take for action to be taken?
Typically, it will depend on the number of reports made and how complicated the reported problem is.
For some obvious violations, such as explicit content, TikTok may act relatively fast, while for others that are complex and require careful evaluation, they may take longer to give feedback or take action.
In summary, as we’ve seen in this article, TikTok’s reporting feature is straightforward and accessible, but you are advised to use it sensitively and only report genuinely problematic content to help maintain a safe and positive environment on the platform.