In this article, I’ll share with you how to know if your Instagram account is hacked, how to find out who hacked your account, and what to do to fix your hacked account.
But first, If you think your Instagram account is hacked or being spied on by someone. The first thing is NOT to panic. Relax then lookup for a solution.
Sometimes it may be that you’re using the wrong password or username to access your account or it may be that you previously made account changes or your assigned someone else your account login details.
But if none of that applies to you, then let’s get started.
1. How to Know if my Instagram is hacked
Or it may be that someone hacked your Instagram account. In case it happens to be that there are actions happening within your account that you’re unaware of.
This may be from auto-following other accounts, auto image likes, sending account auto-inboxes or simply gaining a lot of traction in a very short time.
Sometimes, you may get blocked by Instagram due to suspicious activity that you’re unaware of. It may also be that someone else you have no idea of got your account login details and they’re accessing your account from a very different location.
These are just a few of the signs that your Instagram account could be hacked. But hey, what do you do if your Instagram account is hacked?
To Read: Telegram Hacked? Here is how to know and how to get it back
2. What to do if Instagram Account is Hacked
Once you notice suspicious activity on your account,
Including leaving comments or sharing content you have no idea about or even posted or auto-inboxing people (spamming) then, here is what I recommend that you do.
i. Change your account password or send yourself a reset email
ii. Revoke access to any 3rd party apps. (these are apps you are allowed to access your account mostly used to login with)
iii. Turn on the 2fA (two-factor authentication) for your account. What this does is basically whenever someone tries to log in, you receive a text code on their phone or email to verify log in
3. How to find out Who Hacked Your Instagram
Most certainly you’ll unable to find out who hacked your Instagram account. But with the use of 3rd party apps (which I don’t recommend), you get a leap into where the intruder is based. Including account access internet protocol address, computer or device they use to access your account and sometimes the logs.
However to check if your Instagram account hacked email changed or Instagram account was hacked and deleted or you can’t log into your Instagram i refer you to the other parts of this article
To Read: How To Know If My WhatsApp Is Hacked and How To Fix It
4. What do to if Instagram Account hacked
If you think your account has been hacked or taken over, there are actions you can take to secure your account.
Verify your Identity
Once you submit your request, you should receive an auto-response email from the Security Team at Instagram asking you to help them verify your identity. You’ll be asked for one or both of the following:
A photo of yourself holding a paper with a handwritten code we’ve provided you.
The email address or phone number you signed up with and the type of device you used at the time of sign up (example: iPhone, Android, iPad, other).
Once you provide information to help Instagram verify your identity, they’ll send you specific instructions to recover your account at the secure email address you provided.
To Read: 7 Steps To Build A Great Website Without Coding
Check your email account for a message from Instagram
If you received an email from Instagram letting you know that your email address was changed, you may be able to undo this by using the revert this change option in that message. If additional information was also changed (for example: your password), and you’re unable to change back your email address, please report the account to us.
Get a security code sent to your email address or phone number
To help Instagram confirm that you own the account, you can request that they send a security code to your email address or phone number.
To Read: How To Know if Your Twitter is Hacked and How To Fix it
To request a security code:
- On the login screen, tap My login info isn’t working.
- Next, choose either your email address or phone number to have the code sent to and then tap Send Security Code.
- Enter the 6-digit code you receive and tap Confirm and follow the on-screen instructions.
Report the account
If you’re unable to recover your account with the security code, please report the account to Instagram.
To report a hacked account on Instagram:
- Tap Get help signing in (Android) or Forgot password? (iPhone).
- Tap My login info isn’t working and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. How to fix Hacked Instagram account
Here are some things you can do to help keep your account safe:
- Pick a strong password. Use a combination of at least six numbers, letters and punctuation marks (like ! and &). It should be different from other passwords you use elsewhere on the internet.
- Change your password regularly, especially if you see a message from Instagram asking you to do so. During automated security checks, Instagram sometimes recovers login information that was stolen from other sites. If Instagram detects that your password may have been stolen, changing your password on Instagram and other sites helps to keep your account secure and prevent you from being hacked in the future.
- Never give your password to someone you don’t know and trust.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional account security.
- Make sure your email account is secure. Anyone who can read your email can probably also access your Instagram account. Change the passwords for all of your email accounts and make sure that no two are the same.
- Log out of Instagram when you use a computer or phone you share with other people. Don’t check the “Remember Me” box when logging in from a public computer, as this will keep you logged in even after you close the browser window.
- Think before you authorise any third-party app.
To Read: How To Know if My SnapChat is Hacked and How To Fix it
That’s all I have for you. But if you are still unable to access your Instagram account either by logging in or you still notice improper use and interaction within your account, I ask you to contact the Instagram security team.
Any questions or comments regarding this article, use our contact page on this website. Comments have been turned off due to scammers commenting and claiming to help you hack or recover your hacked Instagram accounts.
Credit: Instagram Help.