SnapChat being one of the leading social messaging apps in the world also makes it vulnerable to attackers and this could be directly to your personal snapchat account. Well, I’ll show you step by step on how to know if your snapchat is hacked and how to fix it
But first things first. You should know that everyone can be hacked. And so, if you think your snapchat account has been hacked, sit back and read through this article to see if you find a solution for you and fix your SnapChat account.
List Of Contents
1. How to Know if my SnapChat is hacked
Its truly hard to get to a conclusion that your account is hacked but we use observations and suspicious account activity to arrive to that conclusion.
A hacked SnapChat may show suspicious account activity and that his may include but not limited to
- Spam content sent from your account
- If you were alerted that someone logged into your account from a different location, IP address or device
- Having to continually re-log in to the app
- Having contacts added to your list without your permission
- If the mobile number or email address associated with your Snapchat account was changed without your consent
Incase you’re blocked or limited to accessing SnapChat features or even the app itself, It is most certainly that your account was accessed by an intruder and that maybe that they’re accessing it from a different locations.
Or this maybe that they got your account log in details and they’re using them to access you account that the same time.
Those and other are just a few signs that your SnapChat account could be hacked. But hey, what do you do if your SnapChat is hacked?
2. What to do if SnapChat account is Hacked
Once you notice a suspicious activity on your account or that you suspect someone to have access to your account. Do the following,
i. Change your SnapChat password
Selecting a password with 10+ characters mixed with numbers is a good way to have a secure password. Avoid using your name, username, mobile number, birthday or any other personal information in your new password. Please don’t use a password you’ve used else were.
ii. Enable the two factor authentication (2fA) for your SnapChat account. Activating this feature helps you keep your account more secure and for every login attempt, it will send a verification code to successfully login.
iii. Revoke access to any 3rd party apps. (these are apps you allowed to access your account mostly used to login with)
iv. Verify your email address and mobile contact associated with you SnapChat account under the settings. You may also request a password reset link that will be sent to your verify email. This is done by clicking the forgot your password option.
3. How to find out Who Hacked Your SnapChat
Most certainly you’ll be unable to find out who hacked your SnapChat account. But with use of 3rd party apps (which i don’t recommend) you get a leap into where the attacker is based.
Including account access internet protocol address, computer or device they use to access your account and sometimes the logs.
4. What do to if SnapChat Account hacked, locked or blocked
If you think your account has been hacked or taken over, there are actions you can take to secure your account.
Reverify your account ownership
Please make sure you that you reverify your snapchat account email address and phone number. Load out and re-login and using the newly created password if any.
Revoke third party applications
If you received a message saying your Snapchat account has been temporarily locked, please wait 24 hours and try logging in again.
Continual use of third-party applications or tweaks, sending spam or other abusive behaviour can lead to your account being permanently locked.
Unlock your account
In case your account was locked by SnapChat due to sending spam unsolicited snaps or messages in chat. It may be displaying abusive behaviour try unlocking it.
There are so many other factors that could also make your account locked which could also include adding too many friends when you’ve verified your email or phone number or in a case where snapchat detects that your account has been compromised.
Report account to SnapChat security team
If your Snapchat account has been hacked, it maybe that you can no-longer access your account or that your friends are telling you that they are receiving spammy messages from your account or that your email email was change by the attached.
Please contact SnapChat immediately.
5. How to fix Hacked SnapChat account
Here are some things you can do to help keep your account safe:
- Pick a strong password. Use a combination of at least six numbers, letters and punctuation marks. I recommend using a password manager.
- Change your password regularly, especially if you see a message from SnapChat asking you to do so.
- Never share your password to someone you don’t know and trust.
- Turn on two-factor authentication for additional account security.
- Make sure your email account is secure. Anyone who can read your email can probably also access your SnapChat account. I ask that you update all your email passwords.
- Re-log in to SnapChat and remember NOT to check the remember me box when logging in from a public devices.
- ONLY authorise third-party apps from official platforms.
Hoping you could find a working solution for your compromised account. However, if your still can’t find a working alternative, the way to go is contact SnapChat security team.
Please DON’T hire the so called private white hackers or other people claiming that they will help you recover your account.
Any questions and comments regarding this article, use our contact page on this website. Comments have been turned off due to scammers commenting and claiming to help you hack or recover your hacked SnapChat accounts.
Credit: SnapChat Help.